Friday, December 20, 2013

Book Review: Steal Like An Artist by Austin Kleon




I am a year behind on this amazing artist/writer and this book, but I am so glad I did not miss it completely. I loved this book. It was the inspiration and thought process I needed. As I am working to write my own book and struggling to do so for the last two years, this book really gave me some shape about how to craft my own story as well as thinking about life in different ways.

Once again, this book is not about education, but there is so much to be gained as an educator. As I have stated in previous book reviews this book provides ideas to help us(ourselves) learn to find our voice and ideas. By doing this we can enhance our teaching.

Since reading this book I have continued to push myself by expressing my thoughts via my notebooks and practicing writing #newspaperblackout poems from his other book(review coming).

If you have not checked out his website you need to - http://austinkleon.com/

This book is worth your time to read. It is one to keep at your bedside to revisit from time to time. It is a good book to own because you can go back and read passages over and over again.

For example, one piece does discuss education

School is one thing. Education is another. .......it is always your job to get yourself an education whether in school or not.

I love this! It is so true and something that as an educator we are always trying to help students understand.

To learn more about this amazing book check out the blogger kit 

So.... track this book down, read it, buy it, revisit it, and most importantly apply the principles to your life!



No comments: